The Oklahoma City Blazers are in search of billet families for the 2020-21 season, to provide a home away from home for our incoming players. Arriving from both out-of-state and internationally, the time spent with billet families is just as important to their growth as any other.
One of the most difficult things for a junior hockey player is moving away from home. A lot is expected of these players both on and off the ice, which can create added stress and anxiety for these young men. The Blazers strive to find homes that will provide our players with a positive family environment. By living with supportive local families, our players and the community are able to develop a special bond that lasts well beyond the hockey season.
Having a hockey player in your home takes time, patience, and a willingness to share. There are lots of differences – cultural and personal – and both are part of the joy of welcoming someone new into your home and in many cases, setting the foundation for a new friend for life.
Q. May a family host more than one player?
A. Yes. Two (or more) players can share transportation expenses, and often times provide camaraderie for one another. All of our players fill out a detailed application and must comply with specific guidelines for behavior and academic performance.
Q. What am I expected to provide?
A. We ask that you provide:
- A separate room and closet for a player, or shared room and bath if hosting more than one player.
- Desk and chair, Internet access, and furnishings as you might find in a dorm room.
- Nutritious meals. (Players are responsible for meal expenses when traveling)
- A patient, caring and friendly home atmosphere.
- The same guidance and attention you would want for your children.
What you receive in return:
- A new perspective on hockey as seen through the eyes of your player.
- The opportunity to make a difference to a young player and help him toward his dreams.
- A monthly stipend of $350 to help cover the extra costs of housing a player.
- Becoming an integral part of the Oklahoma City Blazers success.
- Our billets are interested in sharing their lifestyle in a positive and mutually rewarding way and can offer a safe, secure and welcome home to learn and grow in.
Even the most self assured players appreciate good quality time with their billet family, this experience can be tremendous for all involved. Are you ready? For more information and to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.